Note in your paper that the psycho-pedagogical correctional work should ultimately be aimed not at getting rid of aggressiveness and bullying, but on the elimination of the leading causes and on the extension of active instruments that are used in the child’s demeanor. The implementation of a complex correctional program of skill development and constructive management of student`s aggressiveness is one of the main tasks of social and pedagogical work to overcome school bullying.
This program should be based on the following psycho-pedagogical principles (indicate them in the paper):
- systematization of corrective, preventive and developing tasks;
- unity of correction and diagnostics;
- priority of the correction of the causal type;
- consideration of the age and the psychological and individual characteristics of the client;
- the complexity of the methods of psychological influence;
- active involvement of the immediate social environment and participation in a correctional program.
The following directions, in which work on the correction of aggression should be carried out, are mentioned in psychological and educational literature and practice. They are:
- training invasive kids of the ways to express anger in a socially acceptable manner;
- teaching kids of the self-control techniques and skills of self-management, improvement of communication skills in potential conflict situations;
- formation of personality traits of adolescents as empathy and trust to people (an effective way to implement this direction is the method of induction of incompatible responses, which includes humor and laugh, as well as focusing on the state of other people).
The socio-pedagogical activity with invasive kids will be more effective, if it is implemented on the basis of a methodology of easing kid’s aggressiveness, involving the use of the following forms of work (your paper should also contain them):
- refocusing of activity and attention of the kids in a constructive direction;
- preventive conversations aimed at making the kids understand the need for peaceful resolution of the conflict, backed by reference to the law and the rights of other people;
- role-playing games that allow playing real-life situations and teaching kids socially acceptable demeanor in different circumstances;
- assignments that help to teach the kids the responsive and attentive relation to each other and people around (writing of congratulations, participation in charity events, etc.);
- exercises of performing the actions due to the examples, following the rules, pictorial and physical activity;
- psychological training (to take a deep breath, count to 10, imagine the consequences of action, etc.);
- tempering of the body (washing with cold water, etc.);
- training of the will (promises not to conflict and not to offend others, following the fulfillment of this promises every day, etc.);
- self-reports (summarizing the previous day, analysis of demeanor and actions, etc.)
Work with Parents
Mark in the paper that the work with parents, the discussion with them the reasons of bullying is one of the ways to overcome school bullying. The restraint in the assessment is important when talking with parents of the guilty kids. After all, most of the guilty kids in the bullying situations are children from poor families. The danger with the parents of victims is not to take a position of “full-dress uniform” defense, i.e. to protect the school’s reputation and not a victim. If the conversation is about what can and should be done to change the situation, we can solve this problem together.
In practice, social workers and psychologists can use art therapy methods to reduce the level of aggressiveness. You can point in the paper that one of these methods is doll therapy. This method is particularly effective in working with younger kids. Procedure technique of doll therapy is that a story is played for a child with his valuable character. It is related to the situation that causes trauma to him.
Tell about the division of such therapy in the paper. Doll therapy can be subdivided into expressive (active) and impressive (passive), depending on what position is taken by a child while exercising. In the first case, the child creates himself, he is an actor and director of the play, in the second case he “consumes” art, i.e., he is a spectator. Doll therapy can be performed both individually and in groups. An individual form of work is applied only by a psychologist in his practice. The group form may be carried out independently by the social worker. Only if it is necessary, he can resort to the help of a psychologist. Pay attention in the paper that, unfortunately, this method is not well developed in practice of the social teacher.